Realnames 0.3.1

A new version of Realnames is out. We fixed some bugs with namespace detection, cleaned up the license and got rid of some warnings.

Changelog:

bugfix:
* custom namespace regex (thanks Cweiske)
* STRICT error with STATIC (thanks Vgold)

notes:
* removed contrib-agreement, consensus in discussions indicate it’s
uneeded to remain BSD in shared environment.
* some progress is being made into core-features for name display, expect
some future version to support things like sorting based on realnames (thanks Daniel Friesen)
* version 0.3 misreported version as 0.2.1, now 0.3.1 (oops, again)

issues:
* Consensus is that performance could be an issue using current methods. I am currently working
on a 2-pass version of the extension to address these issues that will be released as soon as
it is ready.

testing:
* svn trunk 2011-12-26, stable 1.18.0, 1.17.1, 1.16.5, 1.15.5

Realnames 0.3

A new version of Realnames is out. We fixed a major bug with append style replacements (they were causing problems in all page titles!) and added two new options. One is to turn off replacements in specific places, and the other to turn off new smarts on when to replace and when not to (don’t replace if realname is same as username).

Changelog:

features:
* you can opt-out of replacements using $wgRealnamesReplacements (thanks Salquint)
* we now have smarts in the form of not displaying “Marry – Marry” text
* you can change “smart” features like above using $wgRealnamesSmart

bugfix:
* version 0.2 misreported version as 0.1.1, now 0.3
* now tied into main debugging framework
* a missing return statement was causing titles in append style to get garbled

notes:
* switched to a more permissive and correct bsd-2-clause license agreement for commits
* added more metadata files

issues:
* I continue to be concerned with performance on large recentchanges/history since my initial post about it on 2011-09-19. After receiving a few code reviews recently (finally!) the main
feedback has been that there may indeed be scalability problems with using newFromName. In my original post (see extension talk page) I proposed two solutions, but haven’t heard from anyone
experiencing problems yet. I think I may implement a two-pass as described in the next feature version, however it will make the code significantly more complex. I’ll hold off on extending those two specific pages until it’s confirmed a two-pass isn’t enough.

testing:
* svn trunk 2011-11-05, 1.18.0beta1, 1.17.0, 1.16.5, 1.15.5

Extension:Realnames 0.2

Just updated Realnames to 0.2. From the changelog:

features:

  • replaces username in personnal url bar (where you click login top right vector)
  • allows custom namespace detection $wgRealnamesNamespaces

bugfix:

  • i18n links User: namespaces (thanks Nilsy)
  • support for upcoming 1.18 gendered namespaces
  • title handling for pre 1.16 wiki’s
  • custom namespace names

testing:

  • trunk 2011-09-22 stable 1.17.0, 1.16.0, 1.15.5

Realnames 0.1

So for the first time that I can remember I started a coding project, actually spent the time required to learn and execute it, and released it.

I present to you the Realnames mediawiki extension. It’s BSD-2-clause and pay-what-you-want. If you find it useful I ask that you please consider coming back and paying something for it!

It is not a contribution to the nym wars happening over at g+, but rather something I think would be useful for corporate wiki and real life communities.